Top 5 Reasons to Fire Your Business Partner Tomorrow
This article assumes that as with all relationships there are times when partners butt heads and you wish you could just fire the person at the other desk, but maybe after reading these 5 reasons, you’ll decided to at least wait until tomorrow to go all Trump on them.
1) Your Partners Got Vision: If there is one thing that entrepreneurs have a lot of, it’s vision. Competing visions for the future of a business are one of the most common reasons that partnerships go bad, but keep in mind that vision is what drives an entrepreneur and it’s what gives them the motivation to finish the project at 2am when your hourly employee has long since clocked out. If your visions seem incompatible then remember that you can always split the new idea off into its own company with your partner at the helm and you can refocus your joint venture on the original vision that you both started with.
2) You Need To Take a Vacation: It may not seem like big deal now when you’re pouring your heart and soul into your business, but someday soon you are going to need a break ( a real break, not just watching an episode of the Simpsons on your iPod in the cab on the way home from your 3rd client meeting of the day). Who better to leave in charge, than someone who has just as much of a stake in the success of the company as you do?
3) Your Partners Got Mad Skillz: Remember the reason you took on your partner in the first place. Maybe they were a better programmer or they have a lot of connections, or they make a great ham and Cheetos sandwich at 3am. Whatever the reason, don’t think that just because your business is off the ground that you don’t need their skills. It’s likely that you haven’t scratched the surface of what they have to offer.
4) Two Heads Are Better Than One: You may think you are always right, but your partner’s unique perspective can help you see challenges and opportunities in a different light. Most problems require creative solutions and if you are going to keep up in a global economy, you’re going to need as much brain power as you can get.
5) Why Do Today What You Can Put Off Until Tomorrow: These are just a few of the reasons why business partnerships are a good idea, but what it really comes down to is your personality type. If you are the type who gets along well with others, considers others’ opinions, and recognizes others’ strengths and your own weaknesses then you probably didn’t need to read this article. If, however, you are not one of those people and you were hoping this article would give you justification for going on Lone Ranger style, then you may want to reconsider your line of work. Very few businesses are successful with such a close-minded, non-team oriented personality at the helm. If you are having difficulties with your partner, they may be reading this article as we speak and realizing that the problem – is you.